Career Search Engine

Custom Search

Career Search Results

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

>> No Experience / Too Little Experience For The Role

Do you have a lack of experience for the job? Even if you have no experience, there are things you can do to get an interview - and convince them to give you a chance.

Maybe you think you're too young or lack the experience to apply for a job that you want? Or maybe you're changing career direction and don't have any direct experience?

Rather than submitting your CV anyway and having it rejected, take a moment to step back and objectively review the situation.

  • Am I really too young / lacking experience? Do I really have no experience in this field?

  • What is it that makes me think that?

  • Is the experience required in the job advert reasonable? (Sometimes the required experience can be flexible).

  • What makes me want this job, even though I suspect I might not be considered?

  • Can I demonstrate having previously risen to a challenge that people thought was beyond my experience level, yet succeeding?
If you still want to apply for the role, contact the recruiter and ask them whether they would consider you.

You might find your non-work activities could help you show how transferable your skills are, despite the lack of formal experience.

Emphasise other characteristics that are desirable for the role and don't shout about your lack of experience.

If you get an interview, you are in a strong position to justify why they should consider you.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin